Xfce project and financial contributions

Kevin Bowen kevin.bowen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 06:22:39 CEST 2021

Hello all,

The Xfce project is currently in the process of looking to engage with a new
organization to help us manage our collective funds as well as allow us to
solicit donations and encourage fundraising efforts directed to end
users who
would like to support Xfce financially.

Back in June 2020, Simon had elaborated
[here](https://simon.shimmerproject.org/2020/06/18/why-bountysource-why/)
as well as
[here](https://simon.shimmerproject.org/2020/06/26/bountysource-update/)
on some of the issues encountered with Bountysource and that Xfce has,
subsequently,
disabled its bug bounties and is looking to separate from its
association with
Bountysource.

As of this month, the Xfce team is considering signing up with
[opencollective](https://opencollective.com/) to assist us in managing
donations and financial contributions.

There are a few other options/orgs that are still being considered; but,
opencollective is looking like a contender for where we will be moving
towards to manage collecting funds.

Hopefully, we can announce, in a few weeks, that we are open for
business; and,
a few new donation buttons can be put up on our pages. Perhaps we can
even do a PR push to do a fundraiser. I am open to suggestions on how,
exactly, to pursue this.

That being said, I would like to open this up to the general dev mailing
list for discussion and feedback for at least two weeks before we make a
final decision. As of today, the decision to go with opencollective is
not yet final.

Any constructive feedback is welcome. Additionally, we are open to
considering other sites/orgs for handling our donations.

Thank you,

kevin