Distro feedback: dependencies for 4.18

Simon Steinbeiss simon at xfce.org
Tue Apr 13 15:22:47 CEST 2021

Hi everyone - especially the distro and maintainer folk among you!

In order to determine which dependency bumps (especially the versions of
certain central components like glib) we can take with Xfce 4.18 I'd like
to gather some general feedback from you.

You can find the prominent changes in dependency versions for 4.16 here and
I would like to set our target versions for 4.18 as part of the planning
phase (https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.18/roadmap).
All of this should be done under the presumption that we will release 4.18
again in about 1yrs time (plus the time "until it's ready", as always).

So if you maintain Xfce packages in $distro please respond and give us a
clue what a reasonable version bump would look like from your point of view.

For reference: we're currently discussing glib 2.60 for some panel plugins,
which has been released 2 years ago already. This discussion still makes
sense ("unfortunately") because our target for Xfce 4.16 was only glib 2.50.
Would be nice to get to use reasonably fresh library versions while not
leaving people or distros behind.

Cheers
Simon