Alt+F2 broken in master

Olaf Hering olaf at aepfle.de
Wed Feb 5 09:43:21 CET 2020

On Wed, Feb 05, Olaf Hering wrote:

> I reverted every package to the git state of '2020-01-01', and Alt+F2 (and F11 in Browsers for example) still does not work.

It was actually a hardware bug: I have this (un)ergonomic keyboard. Two of the four status LEDs used to be on all the time. One is for NumLock, the other was for something else. At some point that other one was off. I was always wondering what it was supposed to indicate, but there was no need to investigate further why it was suddenly off. Now that I booted into some other desktop environment, where Alt+F2 did not work either, it turned out the row with F-keys is not enabled by default as F-keys. Instead these keys provide some other functionality. There is another key to toggle between the state, which also triggers that other LED. I guess at some point I played around with all the keys to see what event they send to the kernel and XFCE, which changed the state of that row.

So, I hope you had a good laught. Enjoy your day.

Olaf