4.14 post steps and 4.16 kickoff

Simon Steinbeiss simon at xfce.org
Wed Aug 14 16:54:28 CEST 2019

Hi everyone,

this message is mostly directed towards our core devs, but I thought it may
still be relevant for everyone to read.

As we managed to stick to our deadline for the final release (mostly :))
it's time to collect the open points from 4.14 and the first steps toward
4.16.
Please help - especially with completing the 4.14 steps, so we can start
for 4.16 with a clean slate soonish!

=== 4.14 post steps ===
* Create the tour (website)
* Finish updating the slider with new screenshots on the frontage
* Add more screenshots to the screenshots page
* Create xfce-4.14 branches for each core component
* Only push bugfixes to the 4.14 branches and new features into the master
branch
* 4.14 patch releases shall happen on the 4.14 branches obviously
* Consider transifex sync for 4.14 branch and possibly deactivating 4.10
and 4.12 (whatever may still be active)
* Consider branching the docs straight away into a 4.14 namespace (same as
we did for 4.12) so we can anytime update the master pages during the 4.16
cycle

=== 4.16 kickoff ===
* Start to think about the roadmap and fill things in here:
https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.16/roadmap#roadmapplanned_features
* Consider making this a short/er cycle again, so maybe just a few features
and some further cleanups (also, don't forget we want to migrate to Gitlab
next)

I hope that makes sense to you all. The most important bit is certainly
about creating the branches and not pushing new features into 4.14. (What
is bugfix and what is feature is a bit relative and obviously up to your
own judgement.)

Cheers
Simon