Suggestion of small patch for xfdesktop

demailly Jean-Pierre.Demailly at univ-grenoble-alpes.fr
Fri Jul 27 08:51:47 CEST 2018

Dear Xfce team members,

You'll find attached a small patch that gives some additional flexibility when
handling icons with xfdesktop.

Actually - very long ago - my wife had a Mac and was used having new files /
new directories / new devices being shown on the right edge of the screen,
as she likes having a dock on the left side. This may "conflict"
with icons appearing very close to the dock, on the top left corner of the
screen. Unless I am mistaken, with the current xfdesktop-4.12.4 version,
icons appear from top to bottom and from left to right (in this order of
precedence), and there is no way to change the default behaviour - of
course, one can always drag icons with the mouse to assign their position
elsewhere on the desktop, but I believe this should part of the configuration
options. The enclosed very small patch allows this : it adds three new
booleans to be managed by xfconf, gravity-horizontal, gravity-upwards,
gravity-to-left that change the default behaviour of icon placement
(thus, in 8 different ways in total). At least, one can now use
xfce4-settings-editor to adjust the options (one might want to let
the options appear as well in the xfce4-settings-manager > Desktop > Icons
but this will require further additions.)

The patch is for xfdesktop-4.12.4 which is what I run, I guess it would be
very easy to port to 4.13/4.14 as well.

Best,
Jean-Pierre Demailly