Infrastructure Upgrades/Changes: Git(ea)

Matthew Brush mbrush at codebrainz.ca
Mon Oct 9 21:07:43 CEST 2017

On 2017-10-09 07:49 AM, Simon Steinbeiss wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
>
> I specifically wrote in my first E-Mail:
>> "In order not to get stuck in endless discussions (which could be dragged
> out by the fact that people have lives and can't always participate in the
> discussions) I would like to propose that we try to move ahead with a
> switch to Gitea."

You also said immediately after:

"I know that feels a little dramatic and I'm hoping to also spark some
discussion here, but it's not as brutal as it may sound."

Also you specifically said earlier:

"We have started writing up requirements for the new infrastructure
(again, both hardware and software) and have started looking into
candidates more concretely."

Which is why I mentioned some of the pain points I have as an occasional
contributor which could likely (hopefully) be solved with Gitea. Since I
haven't seen any other discussion about this, I just wanted to give
another viewpoint as someone who tries to participate in the project.

> I also mentioned self-hosting as a hard requirement, so Github simply is
> not an option anymore (even if it was initially mentioned on the planning
> page, which I linked for transparency-reasons).

You never said why, so I only mentioned it at the end of my email that I
personally think most of the pain points could be solved by using
Github. I also specifically said I can understand that some people don't
like to rely on 3rd parties.

If you read my original response to your email, you'll see it was
largely on-topic and encouraging. Any other emails I sent on the topic
were responding to people who specifically responded to me. I was not
aware it was not allowed to respond to people when they talk to me.

> Again - and without irony! - it's nice if you participate in the discussion
> in a lively way, but please focus on the proposal at hand. If you want to

As I haven't seen any previous discussion and the most obvious and
popular choices seem (if you only read the mailing list) to have been
unjustly dismissed without reason, I didn't realize any decisions had
been firmly made (in private) and all other options were completely out
of scope. Otherwise I wouldn't have even mentioned Github, even though I
have first hand experience with projects that moved there where it
dramatically increased productivity and contributions, two things that
Xfce suffers from acutely.

Anyway, I'm done talking about this. I tried to be encouraging and
thankful, and I feel like I'm being scorned for that.

Have fun,
Matthew Brush