Infrastructure Upgrades/Changes: Git(ea)

Simon Steinbeiss simon at xfce.org
Mon Oct 9 16:49:00 CEST 2017

Hi Matthew,

I specifically wrote in my first E-Mail:
…
"In order not to get stuck in endless discussions (which could be dragged
out by the fact that people have lives and can't always participate in the
discussions) I would like to propose that we try to move ahead with a
switch to Gitea."

I also mentioned self-hosting as a hard requirement, so Github simply is
not an option anymore (even if it was initially mentioned on the planning
page, which I linked for transparency-reasons).

Again - and without irony! - it's nice if you participate in the discussion
in a lively way, but please focus on the proposal at hand. If you want to
help us with the migration, with testing out Gitea or with finding missing
pieces e.g. here: https://wiki.xfce.org/infra/nextgen#proof_of_concept then
please let us know! Also if you have previous experiences with Gitea and
think it's good/bad/proven-in-use etc that would also be very well-received!
We're not 100% sold on Gitea, but the benefits are that we can quite
instantly start working with it.

Cheers
Simon