PSA: archive.xfce.org available over https

Landry Breuil landry.breuil at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 18:25:57 CET 2017

On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 1:04 PM, Landry Breuil <landry at xfce.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> so i've looked again at our apache config for archive.xfce.org, and
> after fighting a bit with mirrorbrain, moka, apache and letsencrypt,
> i'm pleased to announce that https://archive.xfce.org is available
> for public use.
>
> the release manager sending the announce mails have been tweaked too so
> that https:// links are used in mail templates (this will be confirmed
> the next time someone does a release :)
>
> if distros are still using http://release.xfce.org url in their config,
> they're advised to move to https://archive.xfce.org so that we can
> retire the old vhost.
>
> note that HSTS isn't enabled on http://archive.xfce.org so the archive
> is still available over http for now. Maybe we'll reconsider it at some
> point.
>
> mirrorbrain (the software running the mirroring setup) should cope with
> the change, a single patch from the slackware folks was applied to it:
> https://mirrors.slackware.com/mb-sources/mirrorbrain/patches/allow-https-mirrors.diff
>
> The current list of mirrors is the following:
> mirror.slackbuilds.org
> archive.be.xfce.org
> mirror.vinahost.vn
> mirror.netcologne.de
> mirrors.tummy.com
> archive.be2.xfce.org
> archive.al-us.xfce.org
> xfce.mirror.wearetriple.com

And now after carefully looking again (skunnyk did all the hard work!)
most of those mirrors but two (archive.be2.xfce.org and
mirrors.tummy.com) provided https, so https should now be used most of
the time, even when mirrorbrain redirects you by default to a mirror
:)

$curl -I https://archive.xfce.org/src/xfce/thunar/1.7/Thunar-1.7.0.tar.bz2
Location: https://archive.be.xfce.org/src/xfce/thunar/1.7/Thunar-1.7.0.tar.bz2

Landry