PSA: archive.xfce.org available over https

Landry Breuil landry at xfce.org
Sat Dec 16 13:04:54 CET 2017

Hi,

so i've looked again at our apache config for archive.xfce.org, and
after fighting a bit with mirrorbrain, moka, apache and letsencrypt,
i'm pleased to announce that https://archive.xfce.org is available
for public use.

the release manager sending the announce mails have been tweaked too so
that https:// links are used in mail templates (this will be confirmed
the next time someone does a release :)

if distros are still using http://release.xfce.org url in their config,
they're advised to move to https://archive.xfce.org so that we can
retire the old vhost.

note that HSTS isn't enabled on http://archive.xfce.org so the archive
is still available over http for now. Maybe we'll reconsider it at some
point.

mirrorbrain (the software running the mirroring setup) should cope with
the change, a single patch from the slackware folks was applied to it:
https://mirrors.slackware.com/mb-sources/mirrorbrain/patches/allow-https-mirrors.diff

The current list of mirrors is the following:
mirror.slackbuilds.org
archive.be.xfce.org
mirror.vinahost.vn
mirror.netcologne.de
mirrors.tummy.com
archive.be2.xfce.org
archive.al-us.xfce.org
xfce.mirror.wearetriple.com

thanks to them!

mirror operators, if you want you can try setting up your mirror
instance to https - maybe some adaptations have to be done on our side
too .. :)

please let us know of any weird behaviour encountered. Yes, i know the
header links are plain http://, i'm looking into it :)

Landry