Experiments with buildung mousepad with meson

Landry Breuil landry.breuil at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 10:12:47 CEST 2016

On Sat, Oct 22, 2016 at 3:23 AM, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

> TBH, even though Autotools is arcane and crufty, I'm rather fond of it since
> it's very flexible and portable and I find it sufficiently fast for the
> majority of projects.

Seconded. Even if everyone hates autohell, it's a common denominator,
and everyone has enough knowledge of it to quickly hack around if need
be.

As a packager (on an ""exotic"" OS), i've had to deal with dozens of
build systems over the past years, and they were all worse than
autohell (i haven't looked at mason, but dont plan to) - waf, gyp and
scons being by far the worst.

But sure, everyone is free to spend its time hacking on whatever one
likes :) Even though we'd need more people hacking on the code itself,
rather than on its surroundings (ie build system) which should be ...
anectotic. Who cares if Xfce builds with autotools or cmake or mason,
the end-user uses the packages provided by its os/distro, and doesn't
even know what a build system is.

Landry