Experiments with buildung mousepad with meson

Matthew Brush mbrush at codebrainz.ca
Sat Oct 22 03:23:12 CEST 2016

On 2016-10-21 04:58 PM, André Miranda wrote:
> Yeah, I forgot to pass -j4 to make, the build time has decreased to 6
> seconds.

Does it get faster if you pass -DG_DISABLE_DEPRECATED_WARNINGS or
-fno-deprecated-declarations? I figure with the amount of stdio going on
to report all those warnings, it probably noticeably slows down the build.

> Probably mousepad isn't the best fit for a benchmark, still ninja's

Yeah, it would be more noticeable on a huge project with hundreds of
directories and hundreds of thousands of files. I've built some large
projects with plain recursive GNU Make and it can take more time than to
do a full Mousepad build just to figure out it has nothing to do.

> tricks[1] seem to give a fair performance boost, I wonder how it would
> perform on you machine.

I will test it for Mousepad once the patches to exo are upstreamed and a
bug report is made to add it to Mousepad (without all the extraneous
stuff)... or if I get some spare time to tinker around with it in the
meantime.

TBH, even though Autotools is arcane and crufty, I'm rather fond of it
since it's very flexible and portable and I find it sufficiently fast
for the majority of projects.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush