Sponsoring by my Company

Steve Dodier-Lazaro sidnioulz at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 16:38:19 CEST 2016

Hello everybody,

> Maybe not just Germany, but I'm not aware of any other active convention
user
> group.

Waving from Vienna, Austria, and making Simon wave too.

> first of all, as Silvio pointed out, what we are doing helps the users
> of Xfce. It's quite common that users come to the booth and bring their
> problems and/or questions with hoping to get some support.
> These are sometimes also people who don't know communication channels
> like IRC or mailing lists exist or even doesn't speak English well
> enough to ask there (or they think they don't).
> So, there is no direct benefit here but it helps the users which I would
> consider part of the community.
>
> A direct benefit is people sometimes create bug reports after we
> debugged some problem or we create the bug reports for them in case they
> don't want or can't do it on their own.

It might come as a surprise, but I think Xfce does not need more channels
for
bug reporting. The reality is that we have tens of thousands of open bugs.
What
we need is time spent coding. Sadly, many core devs, or experienced devs,
don't
have this time.

> Even better would be to have the foundation running so we could also
> accept donations and use that money for such things.
> Does anyone know how is the status of the foundation?

Last I heard, it's kaput.

There is the BountySource money available, to some extent as some of it is
tied
to bugs being fixed or features implemented. I personally had in mind to
propose
the group to hire me as a part-time / full-time dev, since I can't get
around to
contributing after doing full shifts on my current job. If others think this
idea is useful / would like to come forward to do paid dev work / would
like to
ask their company to sponsor developers, I feel this would be the most
beneficial
thing for Xfce as a whole right now.

Cheers,

Steve Dodier-Lazaro