[wip] gigolo port to gtk3

Landry Breuil landry.breuil at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 21:09:16 CEST 2016

On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 11:56 PM, Enrico Tröger <enrico at xfce.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> this evening i wanted to do more porting to gtk3.. and gigolo was
>> waiting for me. I have to admit i never looked at the code before, but
>> it's very well structured, and it's been quite easy to get it to a state
>> where it builds and basically runs.
>>
>> There's still of course lots of deprecated symbols still in use, and i
>> need to properly fix/do the GtkApplication unique dance, and waaayyy
>> more testing, but so that the work isnt lost, i've pushed it to a user
>> repo at http://git.xfce.org/users/landry/gigolo/
>>
>> Enrico, if you feel like giving it a shot..
>> I've updated https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.14/roadmap#applications.
>
> Woohoo, looks great.
> I noticed only one thing: the main box which contains the icon view and
> tree view is too small, IIRC there was some change in GTK3 regarding
> default packing behaviour in GtkBox'es.
>
> Attached is a trivial patch which sets the expand flag to the container
> so it will look properly again.
> Though I'm not sure if this is the best approach, I'm not really
> familiar with GTK3.

Not really familiar either, but i had solved it this way:
http://git.xfce.org/users/landry/gigolo/commit/?id=dd0e669bfd2df91ccad081f4a3c4fdf1a6b70a38
For me only the treeview was 'shrunk', not the icon view.

Since then i converted some stuff from deprecated to non-deprecated APIs,
and still on the line there's:

- GtkImageMenuItem -> ?
- GtkAction -> GAction ?
- GtkStatusIcon -> ?
- GtkUIManager -> no replacement ?
- Still some GtkStock warnings

But feature-wise, it should still work. More testing is always welcome
of course...

Landry