Gtk 4.0 is not Gtk 4

flo.xfce at gmx-topmail.de flo.xfce at gmx-topmail.de
Sun Jul 31 11:25:42 CEST 2016

I am not so worried. Looking at the roadmap there is probably one more
year until 4.0 gets released, and after that we have two more years to
watch what happens. Gtk2 is still supported (for 5 years now since Gtk3
came out?) - it won't be much different for the new versions.
Although the Gtk devs develop their software mostly with Gnome's goals
in mind they know that a desktop that pleases its users uses more
software than just their products. For the sake of interoperability and
and somewhat consistent UX the breakage will be limited. To be fair -
look at the porting efforts for Gtk3 currently underway. There are a few
tricky parts but mostly small simple changes. It's not that
functionality is removed, it's just hidden. So I am pretty confident
that working with Gtk's new release schedule will be quite possible.
Also, the fact that porting should be done only after 2 years and not
before frees up time for other things to work on in Xfce instead of
keepings its dependencies up-to-date.