Gtk 4.0 is not Gtk 4

Simon Steinbeiss simon at xfce.org
Sun Jul 31 19:38:57 CEST 2016

Hi everyone,

I agree with (almost) everyone else that the Gtk development roadmap is a
good thing, as it makes our lives more plannable.

I've spoken to Gtk devs and some distro maintainers (on IRC) about this and
I think they're all acting in good faith and the roadmap is a response to
(and an acknowledgement of) the criticism coming from the wider community
regarding the toolkit's (lack of) stability since Gtk 3.0.

It also seems a bit delusional - no disrespect :) - to talk about porting
to another toolkit when we hardly manage to go to the next version of our
current choice due to lack of manpower/time.

Anyway, those are my 2 cents. Now stop the discussion and get back to
porting, everyone!! :D

Cheers
Simon