Begin porting xfce4-notifyd to Gtk3

Simon Steinbeiß simon at xfce.org
Mon Jul 6 18:51:13 CEST 2015

Hey,

yeah, theming is expected to be broken. Basically the themes have to be redone for Gtk3 completely, there's no compatibility layer or anything.
If you need help on that aspect, I can probably help you to port the existing default themes or do a set of new defaults. All you have to do on the application side is either give the widgets names (which is – from what I remember – what notifyd does in Gtk2) or set classes, which can then be themed. And yeah, you need to load and apply themes dynamically, based on the xfconf value (at least if you want to keep the feature of independent notification themes around – in my opinion this is not that crucial, it'd be fine to just apply the currently-in-use theme to notifications and provide a fallback).

Cheers
Simon