Establishing GTK3 port "rules" (and some q.s)

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Fri Feb 20 18:08:19 CET 2015

Am 20.02.2015 um 17:55 schrieb Guido Berhoerster:
> * Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at gmail.com> [2015-02-20 16:52]:
>>> 2) One whacking great deprecation I can't mentally avoid, so will now
>>> mention.. GtkImageMenuItem. That fella is gone. What do we want to do
>>> about this? (Alternatives include just dropping images in menu items
>>> or forking it into libxfce4ui)
>>
>> I'd rather dropping images in menu, forking is usually a dead end.
>
> What does that have to do with forking? GtkImageMenuItem is just
> a convenience wrapper around a GtkImage and a GtkLabel, it's not
> that they dropped it for any technical reason and it's not a lot
> of code that would require much maintenance either:
> https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/tree/gtk/gtkimagemenuitem.c?h=gtk-2-24
> Putting it into libxfce4ui would just make porting more simple
> and allow us to keep menu icons (which I would hate to see go from
> applications like Thunar where they are quite helpful in long
> menus).

I also do like the icons, they help with the looking up items in menus
and make the menus less boring. I guess it will not be GtkImageMenuItem
which is complicated, but rather the icons that are going to be
deprecated and vanish. That doesn't have to happen, though, many
designers might not simply throw their work away just because one
desktop environment deprecates them, especially when it will still be
used in projects (like Mate, LXDE, Unity,... Xfce?). Perhaps people will
start creating icon sets specifically for Xfce instead of Gnome? Maybe
that decision to drop them can also be postponed, when it is more clear
what will happen in the future.

Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'

PGP Key ID: 0xBA3AC516
Fingerprint: 569E 0ADA 440A 8B11 D1A2 AB47 8238 0256 BA3A C516