Establishing GTK3 port "rules" (and some q.s)

Guido Berhoerster gber at opensuse.org
Fri Feb 20 17:55:56 CET 2015

* Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at gmail.com> [2015-02-20 16:52]:
> > 2) One whacking great deprecation I can't mentally avoid, so will now
> > mention.. GtkImageMenuItem. That fella is gone. What do we want to do
> > about this? (Alternatives include just dropping images in menu items
> > or forking it into libxfce4ui)
>
> I'd rather dropping images in menu, forking is usually a dead end.

What does that have to do with forking? GtkImageMenuItem is just
a convenience wrapper around a GtkImage and a GtkLabel, it's not
that they dropped it for any technical reason and it's not a lot
of code that would require much maintenance either:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/tree/gtk/gtkimagemenuitem.c?h=gtk-2-24
Putting it into libxfce4ui would just make porting more simple
and allow us to keep menu icons (which I would hate to see go from
applications like Thunar where they are quite helpful in long
menus).
--
Guido Berhoerster