Establishing GTK3 port "rules" (and some q.s)

ikey ikey at evolve-os.com
Fri Feb 20 16:55:33 CET 2015

On 20/02/15 15:51, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 20 February 2015 at 16:10, ikey <ikey at evolve-os.com> wrote:
>> So, that thread hit reddit. Time to make rules clear on how I'll
>> approach this port.. Or rather to clarify my position :)
>>
>> This will be a *like-for-like* port. This does not mean taking a
>> look at GTK3 and saying "oo shiny" and using things *just because*.
>
> This is the right approach, as much as GTK3 allows for this.
>
>> So that means no patch introduced by this initiative will seek to
>> introduce CSDs or redesigns to apps. That's the domain of the XFCE
>> project only.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> Now that my position is clarified.. Couple of questions here regarding
>> known deprecations and a baseline profile..
>>
>> 1) Minimum GTK and Glib versions? I personally would recommend:
>>
>>          glib 2.42.0 - current stable
>>          gtk 3.14 - current stable
>>          gdk-pixbuf - 2.30 - same.
>
> Again, agreed, starting with the current stable version is the way to go.
>
>> Pretty much the basic requirements of using GTK3 - note also that this
>> will be the GTK "in use" when it comes to finalizing the port and then
>> integrating .. (Admittedly 3.16 is out next month but thats a far-off
>> target for many distros, also I'm ignoring point releases here)
>>
>> 2) One whacking great deprecation I can't mentally avoid, so will now
>> mention.. GtkImageMenuItem. That fella is gone. What do we want to do
>> about this? (Alternatives include just dropping images in menu items
>> or forking it into libxfce4ui)
>
> I'd rather dropping images in menu, forking is usually a dead end.

Sounds good to me, tbqh.

>> 3) Ok more than a couple. :) GTK_STOCK* usage is also deprecated some
>> time now, so I may have to harass you all on IRC about which icon names
>> to use. Basically named icons are used everywhere now. :)
>>
>> 4) Symbolic icons -> XFCE stance on this? While they are definitely nice
>> and make a lot of sense, at minimum you introduce an adwaita-icon-theme
>> runtime dependency, which replaces gnome-icon-theme and
>> gnome-icon-theme-symbolic. (Unless you recreate all of your own symbolic
>> icons)
>>
>> Would like to get feedback on this, because, well, the weekend will be
>> here shortly =)
>
> You plan on finishing the port this weekend? ^_~
>
> Cheers,
> Olivier

Well. I spoke with the man upstairs but he's pretty insistent on keeping
the weekend down to 2 days right now, which, I guess I can understand his
position on that.

Very busy weekend for me but personally I would at least like to get
ONE graphical app ported, more likely two, mainly for the benefit of
spamming everyone with screenshots. But yeah I'll be making a start
this weekend, and I'll organise github org etc.

- ikey