Gtk theme engine

Guido Berhoerster gber at opensuse.org
Wed Feb 4 20:29:13 CET 2015

* Peter de Ridder <peter at xfce.org> [2015-02-04 20:12]:
> The discussion on the gtk3 theme has come to an end.
> What does this mean for the xfce gtk engine?
>
> The current state of the engine:
> Gtk2 some fixes in the refresh branch since last release.
> Gtk3 themes that worked ok until 3.4. The engine code needs to be checked
> with the latest version.
>
> What should we do with the Gtk3 part of the engine?
> Engine code:
> 1) Drop it completely
> 2) Fix the code to work with the latest versions
> 3) Reduce the code to only the checkboxes. (The rest can probably be themed
> directly)

For recent GTK 3 versions there is nothing to fix, 3.14 dropped
support for theme engines. You can only try to port the themes to
CSS...

> Themes:
> a) Drop them
> b) Leave them as is, and accept patches to get them fixed
> c) Fix the assumed to be used ones (Dusk, Xfce 4.x series)
>
> I'll be willing to put some time in this, if we think that is the right way
> to go.
>
> In my opinion the xfce engine serves two purposes, provide a default theme
> (gtk2 default is ugly) and provide a light-weight engine for the low end
> machines.

...however that is not a one time effort, as noted earlier, in the
past every minor release introduced more or less breakage among
themes. And changes affecting themes are not specifically
documented, so you can only try to monitor changes to Adwaita and
work by trial and error.
--
Guido Berhoerster