Would XFCE consider adopting AppData?

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed May 21 13:58:01 CEST 2014

On 21 May 2014 12:13, Matthias Klumpp <matthias at tenstral.net> wrote:
> Just one note @Richard: If the timestamp is supposed to be an UNIX
> epoch, the current AppStream documentation is wrong, as it suggests
> using YYYYMMDD. We should clarify that ;-)

s/clarify/fix :) The reason we don't want YYYYMMDD as then you can't
have more than one release per day, and you also need to parse the
decimal as a string and split, then convert to a datetime with
timezone, which needs validating. e.g. 20141345 isn't valid at all. By
using an epoch we can just parse this as an int64 super quickly which
is important if we've got 10000 entries, each with ~5 releases. You
also don't have to worry about timezones or validation, and can do
simple substitutions like "this month" by just subtracting one number
from the other.

Richard