Xfce 4.12 stabilization

Landry Breuil landry.breuil at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 22:48:43 CEST 2014

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 2:07 PM, Guido Berhoerster <gber at opensuse.org>
wrote:

> * Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac at debian.org> [2014-08-11 13:37]:
> sure
> and
> > >
> > > polkit supports ConsoleKit as a backend and should work fine
> > > without systemd on Linux/BSD/Solaris.
> >
> > But ConsoleKit is supposedly deprecated/unmaintained, so I'm a bit
> > unsure what that means for BSD/Solaris.
>
> In absence of an alternative I'd expect them to keept it alive,
> it is still maintained in FreeBSD and OpenBSD ports and Solaris:
> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/sysutils/consolekit/
> http://openbsd.cs.toronto.edu/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/sysutils/consolekit/
>
> https://hg.java.net/hg/solaris-desktop~spec-files/log/f1f6f82f0561/specs/SUNWconsolekit.spec
> There is also an OpenBSD GSoC project to reimplement parts of the
> systemd API:
> http://www.openbsdfoundation.org/gsoc2014.html#systemd
>
> https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/details/google/gsoc2014/kremlin/5639274879778816

A bit late to the party - yeah, we still use consolekit on OpenBSD, and i
just need to try the pkexec variant in the newer xfpm release to confirm
everything still works as expected.

As for the GSOC, i'm mentoring that student, and he did a really good job
at preparing the skeletons for hostnamed/localed/timedated replacements -
logind will be more work though.

Landry