Xfce 4.12 stabilization

Guido Berhoerster gber at opensuse.org
Mon Aug 11 14:07:40 CEST 2014

* Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac at debian.org> [2014-08-11 13:37]:
> On lun., 2014-08-11 at 12:09 +0200, Guido Berhoerster wrote:
> > > Hmh, pkexec means policykit, isn't it? So (on Debian at least, not sure
> > > about elsewhere, like non Linux) that brings libpam-systemd/logind, and
> > > I'm not sure it'll work on non Linux, even with something like
> > > systemd-shim.
> >
> > polkit supports ConsoleKit as a backend and should work fine
> > without systemd on Linux/BSD/Solaris.
>
> But ConsoleKit is supposedly deprecated/unmaintained, so I'm a bit
> unsure what that means for BSD/Solaris.

In absence of an alternative I'd expect them to keept it alive,
it is still maintained in FreeBSD and OpenBSD ports and Solaris:
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/sysutils/consolekit/
http://openbsd.cs.toronto.edu/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/sysutils/consolekit/
https://hg.java.net/hg/solaris-desktop~spec-files/log/f1f6f82f0561/specs/SUNWconsolekit.spec
There is also an OpenBSD GSoC project to reimplement parts of the
systemd API:
http://www.openbsdfoundation.org/gsoc2014.html#systemd
https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/details/google/gsoc2014/kremlin/5639274879778816
--