Xfce 4.12 stabilization

Eric eric.koegel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 13:32:51 CEST 2014

Since Guido covered the other stuff perfectly I'll just comment on this part.

>>   I also have a branch for xfce4-session I've been playing with.
>> It
>> should fix the Support for UPower 0.99 critical bug (it supports
>> LoginD, UPower 0.9.7 - 0.9.23 using upower's suspend/hibernate, pkexec
>> with xfsm-helper for UPower 0.99+ [so much for standards]).
>
> Does this mean current 4.11 doesn't support those?

xfsm git master still tries to use UPower for suspend/resume, see:
http://git.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-session/tree/xfce4-session/xfsm-shutdown.c#n687

Which means that if Debian does go to UPower 0.99 it won't do anything.

Guido's SystemD patch fixes that:
http://git.xfce.org/users/eric/xfce4-session/commit/?h=xfsm-new&id=a91b6bc7688c3559fcc215b126e090ddd887ee8e

Which would fix it for users who have SystemD installed and LoginD running.
My patches just add the pkexec stuff for systems that don't have SystemD.

I tossed it into a branch since the two patches mess with the same
areas of code.

>>  Since xfpm
>> went to using pkexec instead of the sudo helper I did the same with
>> xfsm. It also includes a couple other patches that were sitting in
>> xfsm's bugzilla. It's located at:
>> http://git.xfce.org/users/eric/xfce4-session/log/?h=xfsm-new
>>
> Hmh, pkexec means policykit, isn't it? So (on Debian at least, not sure
> about elsewhere, like non Linux) that brings libpam-systemd/logind, and
> I'm not sure it'll work on non Linux, even with something like
> systemd-shim.

Jenkins is also setup to monitor changes to any branch of the user repositories
so you can verify it at least builds on the systems I've setup for Jenkins, i.e.
http://li604-44.members.linode.com/view/Xfce%20User%20repositories/job/eric-xfce4-session/

On an number of projects, it also tests various configure flags and you can view
the build logs for each system. I'm trying to make it useful :)

Cheers,
Eric