Xfce 4.12 stabilization

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at debian.org
Mon Aug 11 11:22:54 CEST 2014

On lun., 2014-08-11 at 11:12 +0300, Eric wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 12:22 PM, Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac at debian.org> wrote:
> > On mar., 2014-06-24 at 10:34 +0200, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> >> For Debian, it's pretty clear we'll have to do the logind and upower
> >> transition for Jessie (freeze planned nov 5th, 2014), so I'm interested
> >> in having a 4.12 release before that.
> >
> > Just a quick followup on that. Nov 5th is the final freeze deadline. For
> > Xfce which involves library transitions (for libxfce* and xfce4-panel),
> > the deadline is actually Sep 5th [1], which is basically tomorrow.
> >
> > The critical bugs page [2] looks clean, but I'm unsure having a 4.12
> > final release for Sep 5th is really realistic.
> >

> Yeah, we'd have to do the pre1 releases now to come close to hitting that goal.

Note that it might be a good idea no matter what :)

> > The fallback options for us would be:
> >
> > - keep Xfce 4.10 with patches for logind and upower-0.99 [this is the
> > current state in unstable right now, with problems at least in

>   Well I just did an xfpm 1.3.1 release (with the wrong version number
> in the subject...) so that we can have a 1.4 stable before Sep 5. If
> you'd rather stay on 1.2 we can also look into back porting the fixes
> so distros don't have to carry a large patch diff for it.

I'll try to test xfpm 1.3 on Xfce 4.10 and see if it works fine.

> Additionally, I can also back port fixes for xfdesktop 4.10 if you'd
> like (along with fixing a couple bugs dealing with the image list
> crashing that don't apply to 4.11).

That'd surely help keeping 4.10 alive :)

>   If you run into issues with xfpm and SystemD you may want to talk to
> Simon or Sean since they did a lot of work and testing with it.

Yeah, I need to do some more thorough tests. One issue was about the
screen locking setting. Since xfpm doesn't handle inhibits, people need
to disable logind suspend on lid switch, to only have xfpm handle it,
but even with that there are apparently issues with non locked screens.
This might be hidden for people using light-locker.

>   I also have a branch for xfce4-session I've been playing with.
> It
> should fix the Support for UPower 0.99 critical bug (it supports
> LoginD, UPower 0.9.7 - 0.9.23 using upower's suspend/hibernate, pkexec
> with xfsm-helper for UPower 0.99+ [so much for standards]).

Does this mean current 4.11 doesn't support those?

>  Since xfpm
> went to using pkexec instead of the sudo helper I did the same with
> xfsm. It also includes a couple other patches that were sitting in
> xfsm's bugzilla. It's located at:
> http://git.xfce.org/users/eric/xfce4-session/log/?h=xfsm-new

Hmh, pkexec means policykit, isn't it? So (on Debian at least, not sure
about elsewhere, like non Linux) that brings libpam-systemd/logind, and
I'm not sure it'll work on non Linux, even with something like
systemd-shim.

Regards,
--
Yves-Alexis