Xfce 4.12 stabilization

Eric eric.koegel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 10:12:23 CEST 2014

Hi

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 12:22 PM, Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac at debian.org> wrote:
> On mar., 2014-06-24 at 10:34 +0200, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
>> For Debian, it's pretty clear we'll have to do the logind and upower
>> transition for Jessie (freeze planned nov 5th, 2014), so I'm interested
>> in having a 4.12 release before that.
>
> Just a quick followup on that. Nov 5th is the final freeze deadline. For
> Xfce which involves library transitions (for libxfce* and xfce4-panel),
> the deadline is actually Sep 5th [1], which is basically tomorrow.
>
> The critical bugs page [2] looks clean, but I'm unsure having a 4.12
> final release for Sep 5th is really realistic.

Yeah, we'd have to do the pre1 releases now to come close to hitting that goal.

> The fallback options for us would be:
>
> - keep Xfce 4.10 with patches for logind and upower-0.99 [this is the
> current state in unstable right now, with problems at least in
> xfce4-power-manager [3,4,5]]
> - upload current Xfce 4.11 targeted to Debian Stable [not something I'm
> prepared to do, if the code is not stable enough to be released
> upstream, it's not stable enough for Debian Stable]
> - an intermediate situation would be to keep Xfce 4.10 and hope for an
> xfpm 1.4 release which would fix the current issues.
>
> None of them look really appealing to me, but the latter one is the one
> I'm considering for now. My preference being a timely 4.12 release, but
> I'm unsure how to help, most of the critical issues either have patches
> which need test/commit or need thorough investigation which is best done
> by the people who wrote the software, which seem to have little time
> right now.

  Well I just did an xfpm 1.3.1 release (with the wrong version number
in the subject...) so that we can have a 1.4 stable before Sep 5. If
you'd rather stay on 1.2 we can also look into back porting the fixes
so distros don't have to carry a large patch diff for it.
Additionally, I can also back port fixes for xfdesktop 4.10 if you'd
like (along with fixing a couple bugs dealing with the image list
crashing that don't apply to 4.11).

  If you run into issues with xfpm and SystemD you may want to talk to
Simon or Sean since they did a lot of work and testing with it.

> [1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2014/07/msg00002.html
> [2]: https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.12/roadmap/critical-bugs
> [3]: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=727605
> [4]: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=757238
> [5]: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=755234
> --
> Yves-Alexis

  I also have a branch for xfce4-session I've been playing with. It
should fix the Support for UPower 0.99 critical bug (it supports
LoginD, UPower 0.9.7 - 0.9.23 using upower's suspend/hibernate, pkexec
with xfsm-helper for UPower 0.99+ [so much for standards]). Since xfpm
went to using pkexec instead of the sudo helper I did the same with
xfsm. It also includes a couple other patches that were sitting in
xfsm's bugzilla. It's located at:
http://git.xfce.org/users/eric/xfce4-session/log/?h=xfsm-new

Cheers,
Eric