Xfce 4.12 stabilization

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at debian.org
Sun Aug 10 11:22:41 CEST 2014

On mar., 2014-06-24 at 10:34 +0200, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> For Debian, it's pretty clear we'll have to do the logind and upower
> transition for Jessie (freeze planned nov 5th, 2014), so I'm interested
> in having a 4.12 release before that.

Just a quick followup on that. Nov 5th is the final freeze deadline. For
Xfce which involves library transitions (for libxfce* and xfce4-panel),
the deadline is actually Sep 5th [1], which is basically tomorrow.

The critical bugs page [2] looks clean, but I'm unsure having a 4.12
final release for Sep 5th is really realistic.

The fallback options for us would be:

- keep Xfce 4.10 with patches for logind and upower-0.99 [this is the
current state in unstable right now, with problems at least in
xfce4-power-manager [3,4,5]]
- upload current Xfce 4.11 targeted to Debian Stable [not something I'm
prepared to do, if the code is not stable enough to be released
upstream, it's not stable enough for Debian Stable]
- an intermediate situation would be to keep Xfce 4.10 and hope for an
xfpm 1.4 release which would fix the current issues.

None of them look really appealing to me, but the latter one is the one
I'm considering for now. My preference being a timely 4.12 release, but
I'm unsure how to help, most of the critical issues either have patches
which need test/commit or need thorough investigation which is best done
by the people who wrote the software, which seem to have little time
right now.

[1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2014/07/msg00002.html
[2]: https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.12/roadmap/critical-bugs
[3]: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=727605