[RFC] Patch to change xfce4-terminal's background opacity preference to a 0-100 integer

Natanael Copa ncopa at alpinelinux.org
Thu May 2 09:17:27 CEST 2013

On Wed, 1 May 2013 16:11:38 -0400
Bryan DeGrendel <bryan at degrendel.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've created a patch that changes the xfce4-terminal's background opacity
> preference from a 0-1 double to a 0-100 integer (in line with the dropdown
> opacity).

I'm not sure what you mean with dropdown opacity.

I noticed though that "Panel preferences -> Appearance", "Window Manager Tweaks -> Compositor" and "Terminal Preferences -> Appearance (Transparent background)" have different ways to specify the opacity.

I'll try illustrate here bellow:

Panel Preferences
  Appearance
   Background
    Alpha:  ========[ ]= 0-100

   Opacity
     Enter: ========[ ]= 0-100
     Leave: ========[ ]= 0-100

Window Manager Tweaks
  Compositor
    Opacity of window decorations:
      /Transparent/ ========[ ]= /Opaque/

Terminal Preferences
  Appearance
    [Transparent background |v]
    Transparency: ========[ ]= 0.0-1.00

Maybe we should make them all more consistent?

A comment to the patch itself, instead of adding another guint value, what do you think about keep the 0.0-1.0 range and 0.01 step and instead just change the way the value is presented, using the "format-value" signal?

static gchar*
format_value_callback (GtkScale *scale,
                       gdouble   value)
{
  return g_strdup_printf ("%.0f", gtk_scale_get_digits (scale), value * 100.0);
}

See:
https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/3.2/GtkScale.html#GtkScale-format-value

-nc