xfce-bluetooth

Natanael Copa ncopa at alpinelinux.org
Thu Jul 25 18:12:52 CEST 2013

Hi,

I have long time wanted a lightweight bluetooth manager.
gnome-bluetooth has done the job til now, but I have never liked all
the gnome deps it pulled in. blueman have been there but its python
(which tends to eat more memory than I like).

now that bluez-5 is out, and gnome-bluetooth is dead, I had a look at
writing a manager.

Since this is mostly some dialogs and glue to the dbus interface, I
have picked vala for the job so far. It makes both dbus binding and gui
coding easy, without adding too much overhead. Once it works I might
consider to port it to C, or parts of it. (the agent will probably en
up as C to save memory).

So far I have a preferences dialog with:
 - power enable/disable
 - discoverable enable/disable
 - a list of devices

Screenshot:
http://imgur.com/1iTsEK9

The buttons to right does not work yet. The idea was to have +, - and
properties buttons like in the panel preferences, but i'm open to other
ideas.

I also need some way to select which bluetooth adapter, in case there
are many. I was thinking of a combobox like when selecting soundcard in
the xfce mixer application.

I would appreciate feedback, specially on how the gui should look/work.

The code is here:
https://github.com/ncopa/xfce-bluetooth

Patches are welcome.

-nc