Menu Editor

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Fri May 4 09:00:24 CEST 2012

Am 04.05.2012 02:23, schrieb Matt x:
> On 05/03/2012 03:19 AM, Maximilien Noal wrote:
>> 2012/5/2 Maximilien Noal<noal.maximilien at gmail.com>:
>>> On 05/02/2012 07:59 PM, Raphael Groner wrote:
>>> You're right I forgot it was written in Python. My bad.
>> After more testing alacarte-xfce (from the AUR, don't know about the
>> Xubuntu version) as another reason against starting with it, as some
>> menu entries were not displayed (like 'orage preferences' in the
>> settings menu) so I could not move it nor remove it(*). LXMED had the
>> same problem.
>>
>> My goal was to remove it from the settings menu and make it appear in
>> the xfce settings manager (another thing that *both* patched-for-xfce
>> versions of alacarte can't do). I had to do it manually. It was easy
>> (and fun, I learned stuff!) in fact, albeit slower than using a GUI.
>
> It _is_ fairly easy to do manually. As for whether XFCE gets a menu
> editor, I don't really care. I've been manually editing my menus ever
> since I switched to XFCE, instead of getting a patched-for-xfce alacarte
> version.
> I _am_ glad any official xfce menu editors probably won't be forks of or
> patches to alacarte. Alacarte liked to copy menu entries to several
> categories for no apparent reason before I stopped using it.
> -Matt

I have never used Alacarte, but the old XFCE menu editor worked fine.
Taking options away from the user with no appropriate alternatives is
very likely a bad decision. Doing it manually might be ok for small
changes, but it is no fun dealing manually with an XML file. XML files
are human-readable and meant to be processed by machines, it shouldn't
be the other way round.

That said, I have not used custom menus ever since and usually use the
new (and very good) appfinder, but custom menus certainly have their
area of application, e.g. make you find things fast on a glance, show
limited choices for users that don't have much knowledge with computers,...

Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'