Gtk3 for Xfce 4.12?

Stephan Arts stephan at xfce.org
Thu May 3 07:54:32 CEST 2012

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 7:42 AM, Mark Trompell <mark at foresightlinux.org> wrote:
>> Just picking Webkit as example, because it
>> is a pretty prominent one, but there are more examples to find.
>
> Before someone says (not without evidence) that xfce isn't relying on
> webkit. We do for example rely on libwnck, which doesn't in its latest
> releases support gtk2 anymore. So we're either forced to fork (xfce
> did that for libwnck in the past), to stay with old dependancies or to
> move on to gtk3. Forking is given the manpower of the project not what
> we should aim for.

I think you have just hit the sore-spot. One of our dependencies has
already stopped supporting gtk-2, this means the troubles have already
begun.

I say, "Lets just port xfce to gtk-3"... the API-breakage is not on
the application-side, so with the exception of themes and the
theme-engine we can safely start the migration.

Regards,

Stephan