Gtk3 for Xfce 4.12?

Andrzej ndrwrdck at googlemail.com
Thu May 3 08:21:40 CEST 2012

On 03/05/12 14:54, Stephan Arts wrote:
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 7:42 AM, Mark Trompell<mark at foresightlinux.org>  wrote:
>>> Just picking Webkit as example, because it
>>> is a pretty prominent one, but there are more examples to find.
>>
>> Before someone says (not without evidence) that xfce isn't relying on
>> webkit. We do for example rely on libwnck, which doesn't in its latest
>> releases support gtk2 anymore. So we're either forced to fork (xfce
>> did that for libwnck in the past), to stay with old dependancies or to
>> move on to gtk3. Forking is given the manpower of the project not what
>> we should aim for.
>
> I think you have just hit the sore-spot. One of our dependencies has
> already stopped supporting gtk-2, this means the troubles have already
> begun.

This, plus any new frameworks/libraries we may want to use are likely to
be Gtk3-only. I fully agree with this part, and I think this is the
single biggest, if not the only, reason for doing the port.

As for distributing Gtk2 in distributions - sure, that's a nuisance but
Gtk2 isn't going away for at least as long as it was in use - too many
obscure, unmaintained applications out there.

Overall, I'm for porting, and preferably doing it quickly. In the future
we might be forced to do releases more often, maybe even to synchronize
them with Gtk releases, but if we stay with Gtk2 we will soon drop to a
second-class DE.

Andrzej