xfdesktop not being replaced

Matthew Brush mbrush at codebrainz.ca
Sat Mar 10 16:20:04 CET 2012

On 12-03-10 06:24 AM, Leandro Cassa wrote:
> Hi Folks,

Hi,

> I'm a newbie on xfce development and I hit a problem when I was doing
> some very very basic stuff.
>
> I simply downloaded the src for xfdesktop and was able to make/make
> install on a predefined folder. Thing is, although I did some changes to
> windowlist.c file I can't see those changes going on when I call

Possibly stupid question: you did `make install` again after changing
the sources right? That'll compile and install your new changes.

> xfdesktop --windowlist. I thought myself it was due to Xfce session or
> something, so I created a VirtualBox machine to avoid harming my own
> system. To make things work fine I moved the original /usr/bin/xfdesktop
> and created a new one pointing (symlink) to my version of xfdesktop, but
> even logging out and logging in again does not get my changes to the
> desktop environments.

Maybe you need to have some environment variables pointing to your
installation prefix for the user's environment that runs xfdesktop. I
mean things like PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, etc. It might work to put these
type of things in `~/.profile` or some file that is sourced
automatically so that the environment is setup when xfdesktop is
starting up initially.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush