New contributor process clarification needed

Landry Breuil landry.breuil at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 18:54:42 CEST 2012

Hi,

i think we can do a better job at explaining how to actually be a new
contributor to Xfce. On the website, http://www.xfce.org/getinvolved
doesnt mention a way to get a git account created.
https://wiki.xfce.org/contribute doesn't either, and unfortunately
https://wiki.xfce.org/dev/howto/git only talks about migration from
the old accounts from svn/previous git setup (who cares about that
now.. ?), and that people should go to https://foo-projects.org/node/3
if they want to apply for a git account (which as sofar said me on IRC
is now irrelevant). The 'account maintenance' section on
https://wiki.xfce.org/dev/howto/git only applies to previous git
accounts, since now (i think) we dont have plain ssh to git.xfce.org.

Since now all goes through the (awesome!!!) release manager, am i
right in assuming new contributors should apply at
https://releases.xfce.org/login/request if they want an account ? Can
i fix the wiki pages to refer to that form ?

Let's lower the entry barrier for new contributors !

Landry