New contributor process clarification needed

Landry Breuil landry.breuil at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 12:06:48 CEST 2012

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 6:54 PM, Landry Breuil <landry.breuil at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i think we can do a better job at explaining how to actually be a new
> contributor to Xfce. On the website, http://www.xfce.org/getinvolved
> doesnt mention a way to get a git account created.
> https://wiki.xfce.org/contribute doesn't either, and unfortunately
> https://wiki.xfce.org/dev/howto/git only talks about migration from
> the old accounts from svn/previous git setup (who cares about that
> now.. ?), and that people should go to https://foo-projects.org/node/3
> if they want to apply for a git account (which as sofar said me on IRC
> is now irrelevant). The 'account maintenance' section on
> https://wiki.xfce.org/dev/howto/git only applies to previous git
> accounts, since now (i think) we dont have plain ssh to git.xfce.org.
>
> Since now all goes through the (awesome!!!) release manager, am i
> right in assuming new contributors should apply at
> https://releases.xfce.org/login/request if they want an account ? Can
> i fix the wiki pages to refer to that form ?

After a bit of discussion with jannis on irc, i've updated the wiki,
added a section about release manager account creation here :
http://wiki.xfce.org/contribute#getting_a_git_account
and fixed numerous stuff from the past here :
http://wiki.xfce.org/dev/howto/git?do=diff&rev2[0]=1286033198&rev2[1]=&difftype=sidebyside

Review/rewording/comments welcome. I hope the process is a bit clearer
now.. Nick (or anyone with access to the website), can you amend
http://www.xfce.org/getinvolved to make the release manager more
proeminent ?

Landry