Archive Manager

Natanael Copa ncopa at alpinelinux.org
Thu Jan 5 11:15:06 CET 2012

Hi,

Thanks for working on squeeze!

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 10:46:42 +0100
Stephan Arts <stephan at xfce.org> wrote:

> At the moment, squeeze is not ready for production use. It is
> undergoing 2 massive changes:
>
> 1) libsqueeze is overhauled, cleaned up and stabilized (peter mainly
> does this) 2) the user-interface is rewritten (that's where I am
> working on)
>
> The way squeeze is designed now means you don't need to patch it to
> get support for new archive-types.
> libsqueeze reads ini-style files to determine how to use the
> command-line tools that can manipulate the different archives. - One
> thing I hated about early squeeze development and the development of
> xarchiver was that you needed a new version every time someone came up
> with 'yet' another obscure format to be supported ;). This design,
> though a tad complex, should solve that.

I think I would have preferred .so plugins for formats so you don't
need execute external commands and can do smart speed ups in case of
huge archives.

How about something like:

[application/x-tar]
# plugin that uses http://code.google.com/p/libarchive/
X-Squeeze-plugin=libarchive.so

> An example of a config-file can be seen here:
> http://git.xfce.org/apps/squeeze/tree/data/gnu-tar.squeeze?h=peter/refactoring

In alpine linux we have busybox tar/gzip/bzip2 etc by default but you
can add gnu tar which will override the busybox tool. It would be nice
if both could be supported and when busybox tar is active you have
reduced functionallity (no tar --delete). This would not be needed if
plugins are used as mentioned above.

I also see a problem with the config example using the >. How do you
catch errors and clean up? (think: out of disk)

How do you indicate that an archive format has reduced functionallity?
For example .iso is a "read-only" format.

I'd like add support for http://code.google.com/p/libuniso/