Archive Manager

Stephan Arts stephan at xfce.org
Wed Jan 4 10:46:42 CET 2012

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 4:56 AM, James Geboski <jgeboski at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm just curious as to what the recommended archive manager for XFCE is.  I
> noticed that Xarchiver is listed under the archived git repositories at
> git.xfce.org.  I'm assuming Xarchiver is now deprecated in favor of Squeeze,
> correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Originally, I was looking to do a few "quick" patches for implementing
> support for LZMA and, mouse buttons 4 and 5 to operate backward and forward
> operations.  Additionally, if Squeeze is now the new recommended archive
> manager, drag n' drop support would be nice.

Hi James,

At the moment, squeeze is not ready for production use. It is
undergoing 2 massive changes:

1) libsqueeze is overhauled, cleaned up and stabilized (peter mainly does this)
2) the user-interface is rewritten (that's where I am working on)

The way squeeze is designed now means you don't need to patch it to
get support for new archive-types.
libsqueeze reads ini-style files to determine how to use the
command-line tools that can manipulate the different archives. - One
thing I hated about early squeeze development and the development of
xarchiver was that you needed a new version every time someone came up
with 'yet' another obscure format to be supported ;). This design,
though a tad complex, should solve that.

An example of a config-file can be seen here:
http://git.xfce.org/apps/squeeze/tree/data/gnu-tar.squeeze?h=peter/refactoring

Currently (though it does not seem like it in public repo) the code is
under heavy flux. So accepting patches is a bit difficult.

If you want to submit feature-requests, support-files or other things.
You are welcome to help :)

Regards,
Stephan