Howdy

Jérôme Guelfucci jeromeg at xfce.org
Thu Aug 30 21:05:17 CEST 2012

On 30/08/12 14:27, Andrzej wrote:
> Hi Glen,
>
> Thanks, glad to see emails like yours (and Danial's and Ho Wan's). We
> definitely should be doing a better job bringing people into the project
> but, as it often happens, everybody is rather busy. Xfce definitely
> needs more contributors. And I don't mean just programmers - even
> finding a native English speaker to proof read our release notes turned
> out to be a problem.
>
> Liviu has already given you some starting points, so I won't repeat
> that. Assuming you do want to try your hand at programming, it generaly
> works best to try and find a bug which annoys you the most (so you get
> satisfaction from fixing it) and just start working on it. We kind of
> expect contributors to be able to jump that hurdle. It also happens to
> be the best way of learning the code base, tools, project organization
> and other developers.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andrzej
>

> On 30/08/2012 11:32, Glen Kaukola wrote:
>> Since Xfce has become my new favorite desktop, I thought I'd try my hand
>> at helping out with development. So, if anyone feels like taking me under
>> their wing or pointing me in a certain direction that would be great.
>> Otherwise I'll just hang out on bugzilla and try and do what I can.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Glen Kaukola

Hello,

Andrzej summed everything up really well: we really need new
contributors at the moment but the regular contributors are very busy
and don't have a lot of time available to review contributions and guide
new contributors.

If you want to code, I advise you to start by building the current git
master branches and submitting patches to the open bugs on the Xfce
Bugzilla. It is easier to start with minor bugs to get familiar with the
code base. If you want to work on major features, it is first advised to
discuss them on the mailing list.

If you see that you don't have any feedback on your patches, just send a
mail to the mailing list with a list of the bugs you worked on, to keep
us posted.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have and I'll do my best to help you!

Welcome on board,

Regards,

Jérôme