Desktop icon grid

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Wed Sep 28 16:38:28 CEST 2011

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 16:20:58 +0200
Harald Judt <h.judt at gmx.at> wrote:

> Am 28.09.2011 14:29, schrieb Nick Schermer:
> > On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Stealth<stealth at xfce.org>  wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello, I was wanting to make the desktop icons move around
> >> "freely" and not snap to a grid. I'm sending this to make sure its
> >> not already been/being implemented (and to get some info if its
> >> not being implemented)
> >
> > FYI: http://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.10/roadmap/xfdesktop
> >
> > Nick
>
> After reading that page, I stumbled over 'Improve Responsiveness of
> File Operations'. The paragraph talks about the deletion/copy/move,
> but I noticed that thunar became less responsive for the
> copy/move/whatever dialog too (progress information/time estimation).
> If you're shoving files over a slow net connection, thunar freezes up
> sometimes which is especially bad when it's running as a daemon. Are
> there any plans to restore the responsiveness for these things too?

Remember that transferring files over the network wasn't really
possible with earlier versions of Thunar (unless you used something
like FUSE or NFS of course). Also, I doubt the dialog "freezes". File
operations are implemented asynchronously, so your dialog probably just
isn't updated as frequently as you'd expect it to.

> I'm really missing the almost-instant responsiveness of the time
> estimation dialog of pre-gvfs-thunar, now it only updates every few
> seconds if everything goes well.

Thunar updates the dialog whenever a certain small percentage of the
total transfer amount has been copied or moved since the previous
update. I felt like such a time frame was necessary to not cause 50% of
CPU usage (caused by updating the dialog whenever a few bytes have been
transfered) when running multiple operations at the same time. With
very slow drives or network connections this will of course make
the dialog feel less responsive.

  - Jannis