Desktop icon grid

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Wed Sep 28 17:09:15 CEST 2011

Am 28.09.2011 16:38, schrieb Jannis Pohlmann:
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 16:20:58 +0200
> Harald Judt<h.judt at gmx.at>  wrote:

>>> FYI: http://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.10/roadmap/xfdesktop
>>>
>>> Nick
>>
>> After reading that page, I stumbled over 'Improve Responsiveness of
>> File Operations'. The paragraph talks about the deletion/copy/move,
>> but I noticed that thunar became less responsive for the
>> copy/move/whatever dialog too (progress information/time estimation).
>> If you're shoving files over a slow net connection, thunar freezes up
>> sometimes which is especially bad when it's running as a daemon. Are
>> there any plans to restore the responsiveness for these things too?
>
> Remember that transferring files over the network wasn't really
> possible with earlier versions of Thunar (unless you used something
> like FUSE or NFS of course). Also, I doubt the dialog "freezes". File
> operations are implemented asynchronously, so your dialog probably just
> isn't updated as frequently as you'd expect it to.

Actually I'm still using FUSE (namely, sshfs-fuse), but it also lags
with CIFS, and I've already seen thunar working faster with USB
transfers too. I find it more convenient, as I can set it up
automatically depending on the network environment and use it on the
command line too.

It's not the dialog that "freezes", but rather the whole thunar
instance. "Freezes" might be the wrong word, so let's just say that it
reacts very very slow and does not repaint often enough.

>> I'm really missing the almost-instant responsiveness of the time
>> estimation dialog of pre-gvfs-thunar, now it only updates every few
>> seconds if everything goes well.
>
> Thunar updates the dialog whenever a certain small percentage of the
> total transfer amount has been copied or moved since the previous
> update. I felt like such a time frame was necessary to not cause 50% of
> CPU usage (caused by updating the dialog whenever a few bytes have been
> transfered) when running multiple operations at the same time. With
> very slow drives or network connections this will of course make
> the dialog feel less responsive.

I never experienced that high cpu usage, but then I have never started
that many parallel operations. BTW: Windows 8 will have a great feature,
allowing you to queue, pause and resume file operations. I think I saw
such similar ideas here on the mailing list quite some time ago, but it
never made it into the final version.

Is it possible to reduce that time frame somewhere and improve
responsiveness somehow? CPU load is not a problem for me, responsiveness
is. I'd like to have a desktop that is snappy, not laggy, even if the
throughput suffers a bit ;-)

Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'