Mousepad Improvements

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Sat Oct 1 15:34:46 CEST 2011

On 01.10.2011 12:31, Matthew Brush wrote:
> On 11-10-01 02:04 AM, Nick Schermer wrote:
>> Syntax highlighting was never in the scope of Mousepad, there are tons
>> of editors that do that way better then Mousepad can ever do. The
>
> Ok, though there are tons of editors that do everything else Mousepad
> does too.  Syntax highlighting is useful for editing configuration
> files, shell scripts, etc. and it's super easy to add with
> GtkSourceView, needing very small changes to existing GtkTextView code.
I'd really like to see syntax highlighting in Mousepad, even if any of
the other improvements were not included. I know it might be a bit
overlapping with other text editors, and make Mousepad slightly more
complex, but it would be a very welcome improvement. If it's easy to
implement (and if it has been done already), I'm all for it.

>> nick_0_3 branch shows that Mousepad will be in the future, but it need
>> to be ported to gio for file handling.
>>

> Heh, I just found that branch a little while ago.  The code looks much
> better than the original, but I wonder if it's not spanning into Gedit
> territory a bit, since Gedit from stock is pretty much just a basic
> tabbed GTK+ text editor.  It might be easier to just take Gedit and
> change out the GtkSourceView for a GtkTextView and remove the other
> extra bits that aren't wanted.
>
> Anyway, I will cease working on this and focus my efforts elsewhere.
> Thanks for the info.
Thanks for the efforts anyway!

> Cheers,
> Matthew Brush