Mousepad Improvements

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 17:15:05 CEST 2011

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 11:31 AM, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> On 11-10-01 02:04 AM, Nick Schermer wrote:
>>
>> Syntax highlighting was never in the scope of Mousepad, there are tons
>> of editors that do that way better then Mousepad can ever do. The
>
> Ok, though there are tons of editors that do everything else Mousepad does
> too.  Syntax highlighting is useful for editing configuration files, shell
> scripts, etc. and it's super easy to add with GtkSourceView, needing very
> small changes to existing GtkTextView code.

I don't have much say in these things, but I see few reasons for not
including syntax highlighting as long as someone is willing to work on
the feature, and it is:
- provided by GTK itself (thus eliminating the need for additional dependencies)
- elegantly integrated with the Options/Settings
- optional (and perhaps disabled by default).

I don't think people would tend to use Mousepad for heavy code
development, but when performing one-shot modifications to some files
a bit of highlighting may be nice.

My 00.02€
Liviu