Questions on Xfce4.8 installation

Brock Hudson escapingsummer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 20:55:17 CET 2011

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 12:41:25 -0700
Kevin Fenzi <kevin at tummy.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 23:18:31 +0530
> "Navaneeth.K.N" <navaneethkn at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Just installed the new version (4.8) and works great. Thanks for the
> > great product. I have installed this on my Arch Linux. But the new
> > version is not yet available on the fedora repositories. So I am
> > planning to compile & install Xfce from the fat tarball provided. I
> > have following questions,
>
> Note that 4.8 was built the day of release in rawhide, and should be
> in fedora 15. ;) We aren't going to update stable releases with it
> however.
>
> Christoph has a 4.8 repo for f13/f14, but it still has a pre-release
> in it. I'm not sure if / when he plans to update it:
> http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/cwickert/xfce-4.8/
>
> kevin

I am testing Rawhide with 4.8 right now. Looks great I thought it a
little strange that it asks whether you want to use an empty panel or
the default panel set up. Not that big a deal though. Looks good
I think a lot of users will appreciate the simple menu editing use
alacarte I have been wondering for so long when this would be
implemented. I have run into issues with Anaconda in rawhide though, I
don't think its particularly 4.8's fault but I will submit the bug
report asap.