About xfdesktop with GIO

Daniel Morales daniel at daniel.com.uy
Wed Feb 17 17:21:30 CET 2010

> first of all: thanks for starting to port xfdesktop to GIO.  I noticed
> a few things in your first commits that I'd like to comment on though.

Hey Jannis, thanks for taking a look to commits; I only did that push
yesterday to show what i was doing, and get some opinion from a more
experienced developer on this modules, so I appreciate you took the
time. :)

> You introduced checks for GUDev for volume monitoring but we don't
> need this. Please use GVolumeMonitor and GVolume/GMount/GDrive for
> volume monitoring and mounting devices.

Okie.

> It makes little sense two re-implement file operations with
> ExoJob/ExoSimpleJob inside xfdesktop. I'd prefer if we used
> Thunar's D-Bus API here. If the API is missing one of the methods
> (e.g. delete), we can extend it. This makes sense because we want file
> operations to be presented to the user in a consistent way and this
> way we can also benefit from the shared progress dialog feature of
> Thunar.

Of course, it make sense to use Thunar D-bus API.
Currently xfdesktop uses filejobs like: move,copy and link. Seems like
thunar does have methods like launch() that will be very helpful to
xfdesktop, but as you said we'll have to extend some others.

Anyhow, i will take a deeper look to this later... and clean up the
changes i made so far.

> Cheers,
> Jannis

Regards,