About xfdesktop with GIO

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Wed Feb 17 09:28:42 CET 2010

Hey Daniel,

first of all: thanks for starting to port xfdesktop to GIO.  I noticed
a few things in your first commits that I'd like to comment on though.

You introduced checks for GUDev for volume monitoring but we don't need
this. Please use GVolumeMonitor and GVolume/GMount/GDrive for volume
monitoring and mounting devices.

It makes little sense two re-implement file operations with
ExoJob/ExoSimpleJob inside xfdesktop. I'd prefer if we used
Thunar's D-Bus API here. If the API is missing one of the methods (e.g.
delete), we can extend it. This makes sense because we want file
operations to be presented to the user in a consistent way and this way
we can also benefit from the shared progress dialog feature of Thunar.

Cheers,
Jannis