[Goodies-dev] git repository layout

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sun May 17 01:51:32 CEST 2009

On 05/16/2009 04:16 PM, Enrico Tröger wrote:

>> * terminal (Some people hate terminal because of its issues with ARGB
>> windows; I use it and don't care.  Either way, maybe it's not a core
>> component.  It's not really actively maintained either.)
>
> I use this one too. I recently had a look at alternative terminal
> apps based on libvte, there are actually some, but I missed Terminal's
> session management in the alternatives, that is when I shut down my
> Xfce session, and start it again, Terminal opens all previously opened
> terminal windows on the right workspaces and remembers even the last
> used directory. That rocks and I couldn't get any other terminal app to
> do it like that.
> I don't care about the ARGB problems, or better, I never got hit by it.

Well, I'm not saying terminal will go away, just that it'll be moved out
of the core and only get released when someone takes over maintainership
or at least commits outstanding patches and does a release.

One thing I hate about Xfce releases is "dragging components along."
It's so hard to ensure that a package is release-quality if it doesn't
have a maintainer or at least someone who works on it regularly.  You
end up with someone who doesn't work with the module building and
testing the package without anyone to help fix things when they don't
work, or to at least say "yeah, that module is ready to be packaged."

	-brian