[Goodies-dev] git repository layout

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Sun May 17 01:48:07 CEST 2009

Am Sat, 16 May 2009 15:41:14 -0700
schrieb "Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu>:

> On 05/16/2009 01:48 PM, Ali Abdallah wrote:
>
> > 1) The version number in the packages names, is going to stay and
> > changes from a major release to another 4, 6, ... ?

> 5.  The following are undecided, but I'd like to move them to goodies:
>
> * xfcalendar (orage)
> * xfce4-appfinder (maybe not; it's simple and useful; maybe we should
> even move this into xfce-utils and scrap the separate package)
> * xfce4-mixer
> * xfwm4-themes (I think Olivier talked about moving this as well)

I agree it would be good, if we stick to having a distiction between
core and goodies, to really move anything non-essential out of the
core. For what I want, the installer can feature selected goodies and
prefer them. And distributions choose their own application set anyway.
As an example, we have two archivers, namely xarchiver and squeeze, and
some distros choose file roller instead.

> 6.  There's also some question of what to do with:
>
> * gtk-xfce-engine-2 (I think Olivier talked about ditching this
> package since most people use the Clearlooks engine now?  I dunno, I
> think people still use it...)
> * installit (Unmaintained, might want to pull out the current
> installer builder branch since trunk isn't finished)
> * terminal (Some people hate terminal because of its issues with ARGB
> windows; I use it and don't care.  Either way, maybe it's not a core
> component.  It's not really actively maintained either.)
> * xfprint (JF doesn't have time to work on this; with printing
> support in gtk now it's kinda unnecessary, though I believe current
> mousepad releases depend on it.  Maybe move to archive.)

I like the gtk-xfce-engine very much because it is... rougher, sharper
or something, not sure how to describe it. I feel with the Xfce engine
the widgets have a more distinct outline compared to for instance
Clearlooks. And I think lots of other people use it as well.

With my relatively radical point of view regarding the definition of
core, I think Terminal should be a goodie. I do like and use Terminal,
but it's not really tied to Xfce as an environment.

To me appfinder seems not maintaned enough to be core, from my
perception anyway. And it doesn't really cooperate with the panel,
which makes it rather less useful. If integration was improved my
opinion might be different.

Just my 2 pfennig,
    Christian