git conversion status update

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Sun May 10 00:26:18 CEST 2009

On Sat, 9 May 2009 14:39:44 -0700
"Brian J. Tarricone" <brian at tarricone.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 9 May 2009 12:55:27 +0200 Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 08 May 2009 17:51:07 -0700
> > "Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> > > [1] See http://wiki.xfce.org/git-migration#missing_stuff

(snip)

> > About the commit mails:
> >
> >   - Do we still want seperate goodies-commits/xfce4-commits mails?
> >     goodies-commits has about 3-5 mails average per day, so it's not
> >     really high traffic.
> >     Should we go for separate goodies/xfce commit mails, we'd have
> > to keep a list of which repositories are goodies and which are not.
>
> I'd say no; just merge into one list/

Good.

> >   - I suggest a subject format like this:
> >
> >       Commits to the master branch:
> >
> >         [xfce4-commits] <exo> first line of the commit message
> >
> >       Commits to a different branch:
> >
> >         [xfce4-commits] <exo|master> first line of the commit
> > message
> >
> >       or
> >
> >         [xfce4-commits] <exo:master> first line of the commit
> > message
>
> I like the <module:branch> approach, but I think you should include
> the branch name even if it's master.

Stripping the ":master" has the advantage of shorter email subjects
for the majority of the commits. But I'm fine with leaving it there.

<component:short_refname> works fine as long as branches and tags
follow a different naming scheme. To make the difference more clear we
could use <component:short_refname> for branches and
<component|short_refname> for tags (or whatever delimiter you prefer).
Here are some more suggestions:

  <component~short_refname>
  <component#short_refname>
  <component/short_refname>
  <component$short_refname>
  <component+short_refname>
  <component%short_refname>

> There's no need to prefix the subject line with [xfce4-commits];
> mailman takes care of that.

Yep, I know. Just want you people to get the "big" picture, ya know? ;)

> >   - I suggest we all switch from ChangeLogs to the git way of doing
> > it, as explained on http://www.tpope.net/node/106.
>
> I assume you mean commit messages?  That link doesn't say anything
> about changelogs.  I'm ok with it for commit messages, though
> personally I don't intend to write more than a one-liner unless I feel
> further explanation is necessary.

Yes, sorry, I meant the commit messages. For the changelogs I suggest
we just dump some variation of "git log" into the ChangeLog files prior
to the release. Of course this makes xdt-commit kinda obsolete.

> It's clear, though, that xdt-commit as-is will make commit messages
> that look awful in git shortlogs.

Definitely. Either we ditch it or we decide on a new ChangeLog format.
Even though I am a big fan of manually written ChangeLogs (and thus, an
xdt-commit addict), I think the "git log" output is more useful.

  - Jannis