git conversion status update

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Sun May 10 04:16:07 CEST 2009

On Sat, 9 May 2009 12:55:27 +0200
Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 08 May 2009 17:51:07 -0700
> "Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > [If you're too lazy to read this email in its entirety, please
> > scroll to the bottom and read the list of actions.]
> >
> > I know I've been quiet for a bit, but I'm actually working on this.
> >
> > Going pretty well so far.  Awesomely, our disk space requirements
> > have dropped from about 2GB (with svn) to around 375MB (with git).
> > That's pretty nuts.
> >
> > See here for my (as yet undocumented) "conversion toolset":
> > http://git.xfce.org/kelnos/xfce-git-migration/
> >
> > Currently failing to convert are:
> >
> > bugzilla.xfce.org (nonstandard svn repo layout)
> >
> > Currently failing to verify are:
> >
> > terminal (docs XML file differences)
> > xfce4-bglist-editor (PNGs differing)
> > xfce4-notes-plugin (PNGs differing)
> > xfce4-taskmanager (compiled binary differing [why is this in svn?])
> > xfce4-weather-plugin (PNGs differing)
> > xfce4-xkb-plugin (PNGs differing)
> > xfce4-xmms-plugin (PNGs and XCFs differing)
> > xffm-icons (missing branch)
> >
> > I suspect the binary file difference problems are because the
> > mime-types aren't set properly for those files in our svn repo.
> > That shouldn't be too hard to fix (though I'm not happy about
> > having to commit prop changes to tags).
> >
> > [2] Not sure what's going on with Terminal or xffm-icons (though I
> > don't care quite so much about the latter).
> >

> > Anyhow, a TEMPORARY READ-ONLY WILL-BE-DELETED test thingo is here:
> >
> > http://git.xfce.org/THESE_WILL_BE_DELETED/
> >
> > If you use this for anything useful, well... you're a moron ^_~.
> >
> > You should be able to clone from that URL.  No git:// clone support
> > yet, and no cgit.  Read-only for now.
> >
> > Please give it a look and make sure your repos look ok.  The
> > verification script is very thorough (it actually diffs all files
> > on each branch and each tag, and verifies that all the branches/tags
> > that should exist do actually exist), but it's certainly possible
> > something could have gotten messed up.
> >
> > One possibly controversial choice I've made is to munge branch and
> > tag names a bit.  For example, the 'xfce_4_4' branch is now called
> > 'xfce-4.4'.  Any branches/tags of the form ${MODULE_NAME}_X_Y_Z
> > were also converted similarly.  I also converted things like
> > 'V_1_0' to 'V-1.0' and 'V1_0' to 'V1.0'.  For the Xfce core
> > modules, this is pretty much set.  For personal modules, PLEASE
> > SPEAK UP (via private email) if you want your branches/tags left
> > alone.

I'll need to test this but while working on the commit mail hook
script, I found out that I can generate nice commit mails like this for
tags:

  Updating annotated tag refs/tags/2.0.4
       as new annotated tag
           to c34c2d75b29d92c40f06a605d27482d45308b743 (tag)
     replaces 2.0.0
    tagged by Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org>
           on 2009-05-10 03:47 +0200

  Jannis Pohlmann (1):
        Revision 16

That means git detects when a tag replaces another one and lists the
commits between the two tags at the bottom of the mail. I don't know if
this only works for tags like "x.y.z" or also for tags like
"xfce-x.y.z".

  - Jannis