git conversion status update

Brian J. Tarricone brian at tarricone.org
Sat May 9 23:39:44 CEST 2009

On Sat, 9 May 2009 12:55:27 +0200 Jannis Pohlmann wrote:

> On Fri, 08 May 2009 17:51:07 -0700
> "Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> > [1] See http://wiki.xfce.org/git-migration#missing_stuff
>
> I'll work on the commit mail script on my laptop. I suggest we create
> an xfce-repo-admins group and a special directory for our hook scripts
> on mocha.

Yeah, that's fine... not sure we need a group, can just use ACLs to
give the people access who need it.

> When creating the repositories we could create links to the
> hook scripts for every repository.

Yup, my conversion script already does this.

> About the commit mails:
>
>   - Do we still want seperate goodies-commits/xfce4-commits mails?
>     goodies-commits has about 3-5 mails average per day, so it's not
>     really high traffic.
>     Should we go for separate goodies/xfce commit mails, we'd have to
>     keep a list of which repositories are goodies and which are not.

I'd say no; just merge into one list/

>   - I suggest a subject format like this:
>
>       Commits to the master branch:
>
>         [xfce4-commits] <exo> first line of the commit message
>
>       Commits to a different branch:
>
>         [xfce4-commits] <exo|master> first line of the commit message
>
>       or
>
>         [xfce4-commits] <exo:master> first line of the commit message

I like the <module:branch> approach, but I think you should include the
branch name even if it's master.

There's no need to prefix the subject line with [xfce4-commits];
mailman takes care of that.

>   - I suggest we all switch from ChangeLogs to the git way of doing
> it, as explained on http://www.tpope.net/node/106.

I assume you mean commit messages?  That link doesn't say anything
about changelogs.  I'm ok with it for commit messages, though
personally I don't intend to write more than a one-liner unless I feel
further explanation is necessary.

It's clear, though, that xdt-commit as-is will make commit messages
that look awful in git shortlogs.

	-brian